3/1/12

paf: abstract

Since finding Bonnie's site Pixel Dust Photo Art, I've become SO much more daring and experimental in my digital art efforts.  This week was to try something abstract or any type of photo art.  I LOVE playing at abstract!  A couple weeks ago Bonnie showed some results she got by using the wave filter in PSE so I tried it out on a couple different images.  I found that if the image is TOO simple, the waves aren't that interesting.  If the image is too busy, the waves are a jumbled mess.  And, there are so many ways of adjusting the depth, frequency, etc of the wave that it was a bit overwhelming.  So I clicked the randomize button and got this fabulous result.



Here are the 2 images of mine I used, no textures, just the PSE filter.  Adding the water overlay added the brighter stripes of color which I thought improved the interest of colors.  I just LOVE the striations of color.  In fact, I'm inspired to paint.....don't you think are some great painting inspirations in this?  I'll post my efforts on this soon!

This second effort, I took one of my sunflower photos and added Bonnie's texture heavenly at overlay 100%  for the texture and depth of color and abstract splotches at hard light 37% which I then erased over the seeds but kept those scratches on the petals.


original image:


Hmmm... seeing them side by side like this, I'm not sure the textures improved the photo that much - but they did make for a fun, whimsical change.....

Looking forward to seeing what others do!

20 comments:

  1. Love the way this turned for PAF. Great colors

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great and it is so much fun to try out this stuff. Can spend hours, and amazing how your work can turn out so differently each thing you try. I will have to try out this wave filter. Have never used it before. Very fun looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great images! Funny, I was playing with distort filters this week, too, and also found it a bit overwhelming. I'll have to try randomize next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love abstract art as it really allows one's imagination to run free! :) Nice work, Terrie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are amazing! I love the first one the best, probably it's the colours and the retro patterns :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stunning Terrie! You have to print and hang that first one!! I agree that the texture does not 'improve' the sunflower - but as you suggest it is not always improvement we are looking for - sometimes simply something different. You could make a levels adjustment on it to bring back something the the light in the sooc.
    I so appreciate your participation in PAF. Your explanations of your process really contribute to the learning for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...think I meant to type, "somewhat of the light in the sooc"... going too fast here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. stunning and beautiful - striped leaves seem to work so well in photo art

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now this is abstract! The colors are just fabulous... Lovely work on the sunflower, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful abstract.

    Regards and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:23 AM

    Cool effect! I'll have to play around more with the wave filter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well - That is how one can find one's own way of ART.. I think you have done it really good!!

    My contribution do you find here:
    http://staronephoto.wordpress.com/my-art/05-2/

    ReplyDelete
  13. The leaves are just beautiful. I love the effect this particular filter has. I did some with Christmas images and made them into cards.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Groovy! (Sorry I couldn't resist) but I like it!
    Wonderful colors and those waves are just mind bending.
    The Sunflower piece is nice and I do like the texture on the petals but I'm with Bonnie that some of the wonderful lighting of the original is missing. Still it's fun to play.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love what you did with both images - the first one has such beautiful color! And I agree that your texture over the sunflower made it look much more whimsical. Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your abstract is stunning Terrie. The colors are like gorgeous liquid. I'm really having problems finding the appropriate adjectives :-) Basically, I love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. The PS filter are amazing.
    Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this has sooo many possibilities for paint and can't wait to see what you make it into... this is going to be an exciting process to watch...xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Isn't the wave filter really fun. Bonnie is such an "explorer" and I learn so much from her and all of those who participate in these challenges.
    Really nice results here. Great colors in the top image.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to add a comment. I value what you think!