3/5/12

altered book: step 1

I'm so excited to be following along with Elizabeth's altered book class - it's free and she is sharing the most detailed instructions imaginable.  If this is something you've wanted to try, now's the time.  She's moving at a slow and steady pace to give us all time to get the materials and prepare them, step by step - we're only on lesson 2, so there's still time to join in.

Here's my step 1 - obtain a book with a STITCHED binding, remove some pages (about 1/3).


Not too exciting photos yet, but just wait.... :)   The rubber banded section will become a niche to hold a little treasure - mine's going to have to be pretty narrow; I didn't reserve many pages.  Today's lesson came out and covers making the niche and preparing the cover and inside pages. I can't wait to get started....

Oh yeah, we were also supposed to decide on a theme and start collecting paper/photos, etc. to go in the book.  My theme is Daydreams.

This and all my other posts this week are shared with Creative Every Day where Leah encourages and reminds us to create something every day, whether it's cooking, writing or painting.  Stretch those creative muscles!  Leave your link so we can see how you're being creative.



10 comments:

  1. Terrie,

    Daydreams don't have to be thick (grin). I'm sure you will find something for the niche. And just think! You don't have to cut through as many pages, either, a real lifesaver when it comes to cutting that niche. I see you took the "easy" approach to removing pages, too.

    You can't imagine how happy I was to see your post AND your link. Thank you beyond belief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a nice, sturdy little book to put your dreams in...that stack of pages makes me itch to make a collage! have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can see we are going to have a heap of fun doing this. I went out and bought another book today because the niche 'treasure' I want to use now is too big for the pages I had left for it. Still, it's just an opportunity to do another one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I'm in Elizabeth's class too and I love your theme, Daydreams will be so much fun to explore! I joined your blog and would love for a fellow AB crafter to join mine so we can stay in touch through the process! waving from the hills of North Carolina :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Terrie! I'm still working on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think daydreams would be a fabulous theme and your niche could be filled with very thin things like ethereal lace and beads and cotton fluffy stuff so wouldn't need to be thick at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea, love your theme, it will be interesting to see how you interpret your daydreams.
    I think I am going to do my travels.
    looking forward to the next lesson, as long as I get my niche done
    janet

    ReplyDelete
  8. I´m also participating Elizabeth´s AB class and love it! So good instructions. Love your theme - I´m not yet quite sure about my own...
    Tuire xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melanie here! I enjoyed this piece, please email me--I have a question about your blog. MelanieLBowen[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daydreams sounds like a good theme. I haven't really decided on mine yet. But I have cut a niche and it is narrow too. I thought I might just put my initials or something like that in there, not actually an object. Will wait and see!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to add a comment. I value what you think!