3/30/12

inspiration journal

A simple, clean, unembellished journal.  Novel concept.  I read about this dynamite idea on iHanna's blog and, as with so many things, it hit at just the right time.  She wrote about creating a 'restraint journal' - a small notebook where you can create simple, quick collages on a plain white background and use up the scraps on your table.  You had me at restraint.  Like Hanna, restraint is something I don't usually practice, but once I got started on this journal, I couldn't stop!


I have a stack of inspiration pieces that I've printed out or cut from magazines and didn't quite know how to save them.  I wanted them accessible but not just stuffed in an envelope or box.  I'd been mulling it over for a week or two and then saw Hanna's blog post.  Genius!


Some tissue paper and a dab of one of my new washi tapes above.

 Manilla envelope pieces made it in a stack above.


 I love Chico's jewelry and advertising pieces!

I love the idea of grabbing whatever is on hand from my pile of scraps and concocting a quick composition.  Key word: quick.  I can play with color, with shapes, not so much with actual texture, but with visual texture.  The best part - I can play with my glue and paper and still watch TV - the best kind of multi tasking!

Michelle Ward advocates it as well:  Create a journal page that has minimal elements, less clutter, and more breathing room. I’m not saying that less is better than more; I’m simply asking you to try it. As we know, there are no rules when it comes to visual journaling.

Thanks Hanna & Michelle!

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:01 AM

    Perfect timing for me to see this, too--thanks for sharing it, Terrie! I've been doing a little mini-purge of my art stuff this week and was contemplating how best to keep all of these little inspirational tidbits...now I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your journal pages and yes it is so much fun to do pages quickly. I am always amazed at the results when I do them this way....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:09 PM

    Great Terrie, I like the mix of elements and your compositions. xox Corrine

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks fun to work on, and then fun to LOOK at when you're in need of inspiration. what a great idea. love those manila envelope rectangles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your collages and the idea of an inspiration journal! thanks for sharing this great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pages - encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely idea this is - wonderful! I have tons and tons of idea clippings and I never thought of putting them together in this creative way. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! I really like this idea! Your pages look terrific Terrie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are fantastic pages Terrie! You have such a great eye for composition (as is obvious by your gorgeous photography). This is a great idea. I have tiny scraps coming out of my ears....hmmm.... :-) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to add a comment. I value what you think!