10/27/11

digital abstract

I found a new site (I know, big surprise, huh?) that will challenge my digital art efforts in a new direction.  Pixel Dust hosts a Photo Art Friday to showcase digital experiments and artistic efforts.  After browsing Bonnie's site and seeing her style, I was blown away and inspired to give it a shot.  I've done some playing with textures and enhancing some of my images with that, but her free textures are so totally different and the results are quite dramatic.  This will take a little getting used, but I like the stretch!

BEFORE:  an interesting ceiling - I like architectural photos but don't always know what to do with them


AFTER:


I used her textures Happy Day (hard light @ 65%), Mauve Magic (color burn @ 60%) and one call Water Stains (hard light @ 20%) from Hibbary.  I love the vibrant color and how extreme it is from the soft look I usually do.  After reading her process on the example in this post, I really experimented with some of those blending modes that I never really touch and didn't use my fave soft light.  I can't wait to do more of this!

Next Friday's challenge is to try something totally new, something we've been considering but too timid to try - I already know what I'll be attempting...... be sure and check back to see my efforts :)

I'm also linking this to Artists in Blogland which is a place to share your creative efforts each week.  Check it out.  I produced a few different things this week, but picked this post to share because it was the most outside my comfort zone piece - and I actually quite like it.  Sometimes taking off in a new direction or trying a new technique is slow going and not always immediately satisfactory.  But, it's sure fun when it finally comes together!

18 comments:

  1. Oh - this is SO delightful! Great selections and manipulations of textures with your photo. You've made a photograph into an abstract stained glass ceiling!
    Thank you for joining us and sharing your work at Photo Art Friday, Terrie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a difference the texture as made to your architectural shot...a beautiful stained glass ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really fantastic, like ancient stained glass gone modern! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice abstract. I love you edit! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:11 AM

    Wonderful job! You've turned a rather mundane image into something really fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PERFECT photo for this PixelDust texture.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cool! It looks like you're in a fantastical glass house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, these textures worked so well with this image. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic. The textures really added a totally different look and feel to your photo. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terrie, what a gorgeous transformation! Bonnie's textures are quite something, aren't they? I love to use them as well. Totally forgot about Photo Art Friday this week...

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the effects... and that you're doing something outside your comfort zone! very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the effects... and that you're doing something outside your comfort zone! very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terri this is just staggering... I love the finished product so much... the textures are beautiful and the colours amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love what looks like trees through the roof.

    Coleen in Ukraine

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE the textured architecture! You take the most beautiful photos, I'm always keen to see what you've done next. Congratulations on winning the Diva's lucky draw too!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous4:07 AM

    this is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the effect you created. It is so fun to "play" with pictures...so many different ways to change them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to add a comment. I value what you think!