2/4/12

tutorial tues: watercolor

This week Ashley (Rambings & Photos) shared a tutorial on using PS or PSE to give a photo a watercolor painterly effect.  I tried it out on a couple of my photos.

Original:



With watercolor layers added:

Original:


After watercolor effects added:


Although I quite liked the rose result, I don't like this second version as much - it feels a little too "paint by the numbers", so I think the success of this treatment will vary with the subject.  The instructions provided are clear and easy so give it a try on some of your images and see what you think.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, it seems to work better where there are larger expanses of one color to really show the effect. Do love the original of your bottom shot though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Terrie. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you - so much of creativity in pse seems to be give it a go and see what happens - thank goodness for the undo button!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used this technique before and my program has lots of others to use too, some are cool and others are just plain crazy. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh that rose is gorgeous, both before and after!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I thunk the 2nd photo is my favorite. It was a tremendous photo to start with but the ps just adds a Bit of mystery for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:46 PM

    Wow lovely photography technique. I wish I could do it to photos and watercolor like this.... the japanese architecture is always beautiful sight.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to add a comment. I value what you think!