9/9/12

an artful day

Dan watched football all day so I was free to play in my art room!  I admit I did some computer work as well, but I felt artfully satisfied by the end of the day.

I made mail art - I've got quite a packet going to Karen for her MMSA (mail me some art) challenges this month.  There is a new theme for each week (postmarked by Saturday) so there's lots of time or themes to interest you.  She makes it super easy - you send her cards, she matches them up with other participants and mails them out! :)  Some of these go to her swaps and some to people I owe cards to.....


Then, I finished up a spread in my journal I'd been working on to remember our vacation.  I used some of my photos, some ephemera (tickets & stuff), paint and the usual fun stuff.  Here's how that turned out:


Folded the center 2 pages in half so the outer pages had to color coordinate -have finally realized this color combo is just not a fave - I keep trying it in various permutations and I rarely like the results.  I need to stick to brighter, more cool colors I think.


The two folded pages opened to the center -listing the places we visited and practiced some writing.

Added some maps, also folded to get them to fit.

The inside of the folded list pages changed color palette - like it better.

This was a fun way to include lots of pics, some ephemera, some comments so I remember the highlights of the trip.  Washi tape holds stacked photos in place so they don't take up as much room.

And finally, I added the next steps to my large canvas WIP.  I've shown the various layers I've worked on over the last few weeks, today I added blue stenciled letters, then circles, covered it all in matte medium and waited for it to dry.  Can't decide if I want to gesso it a bit before the next step or not so will live with it a day or two before moving on.....I'm mostly liking it - we'll see how it progresses compared to what's in my head.

Wanted an underlayment of some letters and teal.

Lots of gesso and white and gray paint.

Even more paint, then circles in 2 sizes and lots of shades of yellow/gold.

Circle detail - dictionary pages and music from Get Back by the Beatles.

Hope you all managed to fit some art in this weekend as well.

I'll be sharing this with Artists in Blogland.











13 comments:

  1. Oh I like painting and how you've shown the progression. Like sunlight floating up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting on your WIP how many different colors on your circles. Keep us posted as it moves along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:25 AM

    Wow you certainly did spend some time in the fun zone. Hope some of that mail lands at my doorstep. Love your journal, especially the pull out folded map bits! The big canvas is becoming so expressive, can't wait to see where it takes you. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a yummy stash of mailart Terri, wow! I LOVE your art journal spread - funny how tastes differ 'cause those are my favorite colours! The canvas is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a post Terrie, so jam packed full of arty goodness, blown me away over here in the UK. I looooovvvveee your journal pages, so wonderfully interactive and obviously very personal to you, beautifully done my lovely.
    Your canvas is coming along brilliantly too, can't wait to see more as you progress.
    Big hugs x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love what you did with your journal pages to remember your trip! The folded pages really are fun. Your large canvas is looking good--glad you could "Get Back" to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a feast for the eyes! I love all those little flaps and folds in your journal. I pay so much more attention to books when they're interactive and dynamic. (even my own books - I just want to play with them over and over).
    those yellow and gold circles are so exciting. I love watching this unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you have been going to town with that mail art. I used to participate, but after awhile I just couldn't participate anymore. You can sometimes do something for too long and it takes all the fun out of it. However, I can tell it's still fun and fresh for you.

    I'm still loving that large canvas. I'm really surprised each time you cover so much of the previous layer. I guess I need to learn to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are being fearless with that canvas... covering so much f the layer underneath always freaks me out a bit, but you are just jumping in... very cool... and I love the bluey green journal pages... they are just perfect, though the ochrey ones look really rich and lovely as well... just a sucker for blues and greens is all... love seeing you so busy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. An artful day, indeed!! :]
    Thank you for sharing your inspiration with me, Terrie... I loved every moment of it. ~xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely amazing!! i just loved your journal pages and those golden circles took my breath away..beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your wip, it's looking great, I'm looking forward to seeing more of it's progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Terrie. So MUCH goodness! What an amazing day you had. Love seeing your WIP emerge. And glad you liked our little island so much xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to add a comment. I value what you think!