3/15/16

urban sketching adventure

Yesterday I joined in on my first Urban Sketcher (USk) adventure!  The group meets monthly around the Seattle area to sketch and share their efforts. I have to admit I was more than a little intimidated, but there were a couple of familiar faces (Stephanie, instructor at  the workshop I just took, and Barry, a classmate) in the 25 or so people who turned out.  You can read more about the Seattle chapter of USk here and see sketches some of the participants did.  There's also a flickr group if you want to see more.

We met at UW Suzzallo library and since it was pouring rain and super windy outside, everyone headed indoors to sketch. The building has a few beautiful, dramatic rooms.


I decided this was much too complicated for me yet.... so I kept looking.


I decided to try this view.  I spent the most time figuring out the proportions and getting the "big" shapes in, in pencil. Then switched to ink to do the actual drawing ...... learned a couple things about watercolor when I added that step that I hope I remember next time - I need to work a little wetter so my colors blend better and my shadows don't have such hard lines.  But, for today, a good effort.

5x8" sketch


Looking at all the great sketches at the end. There is SUCH a range of styles and paper sizes and abilities..... an amazingly talented group!  I'm looking forward to the next one.

On the way back to my car, the rain let up a bit so I wandered thru the quad to look at the cherry trees, soggy though they were.  


Hope you're doing something creative this week!


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:42 PM

    Oh this sounds wonderful. What a great group for you to be a part of. Love your sketching adventures. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've turned it on a sketchers worthy of the name - this is really nice! So cool (and scary) that everyone puts their books out for everyone else to see. You've found your tribe lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to add a comment. I value what you think!