7/28/13

ALAW done!

My first alphabet book of the year is finally done.  Hosted by Fiona, ALAW (a letter a week) is a fun way to play with lettering and create 2 alphabet books (or whatever display method you like) a year.  I'm a little behind in settling on the format for this alpha and I'm not 100% in love with it, but I like the idea and will play with it more.

Inspired by a project in the new issue of Pages magazine by Wen Redmond, I used an ultra simple book "binding".  I cut a narrow notch in the top and bottom of each page then used ribbon to tie it all up. You can see the notches as I show you the pages below.









I used a sheet of mulberry type paper I had on hand, tore the sheets so I got the deckle edge, used watercolor - every shade of blue I had - to do my mark making, added black circles here and there.  If I were to do it again I'd do the letters on the same paper as the book or on a more contrasting paper (I used bristol paper), but since I didn't know what I was going to do with the letters, I just picked a paper and started.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well the mulberry paper held up to the watercolors.

For the first time, I actually know exactly what I'm going to do for my next book.  The theme is "peace" and I'm going to use my photography, lettering and a flag book format to create an interactive book.  I'm excited to get started!  Please wander over to the ALAW blog when you have a few minutes and see the huge variety of projects and lettering mediums. As usual, the creativity is just amazing!


8 comments:

  1. This is a fun looking project. I remember when you started it. The book (I saw it on Wen's site recently) reminds me of ones I made for my friend Sally and Kathy in April. I used old Christmas cards, but mine was far more involved than Wen's.

    You did a super job with your book. Love the blue, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:49 PM

    Oh Terrie I love this. I saw Wen's work in the new issue of pages, she is amazing. Some day I will get to her studio (she is only an hour away)... What a great way to keep this work and I am looking forward to seeing this new book. Love the concept and I shall eagerly await some sneak views. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous work Terrie, your lettering is beautiful. I love your display book too, suitably subtle to let your letters shine.
    Huge hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a neat book. The letters themselves are wonderful, and the similar-yet-different background pages works really well. I especially love the way the blues ran on the k-l-m-n and o-p-q-r spreads. Good job to get it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you did with your letters Terrie! The abstract shapes and gorgeous blues are a wonderful addition to your letters without detracting from them in any way. I'm so looking forward to your Peace book xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your book is gorgeous, I love all the blues and the letters are fabulous.
    I look forward to seeing what ou do for Peace.
    Von.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did it!!! ...among various other arty commitments. Goodonya Terrie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!
    Such a gorgeous booklet, Terrie... **wonderful work** :]
    I LOVE... LOVE... the watercolor "SPLASHES!!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to add a comment. I value what you think!